So this last week I've been doing a lot of thinking. Mostly about becoming a mom and being a parent and what kind of responsibility/blessings come with it. Thinking back on my life and having the kind of parents I had, makes me really appreciate the way that they raised me. Having spent about 4 years in youth ministry working with so many different kinds of kids, I've realized what an important role I'm about to play in the life of another human being. As parents we have the most influence on our children than any other person in this world.
I'm realizing the power I'll be given in directing my child in the way he/she should go. I am the one with the ability to build up or break down the spirit of my kid. I am the one who shows them what love should look like and feel like and how to love others well. I am also the one who has the ability to neglect, isolate, discourage, and belittle them. I've seen the results of both ways of parenting. I've seen how the lack of communication in a family can have lasting negative effects well into adulthood. I've seen the impact of too-busy parents who don't have time to catch their kids ballgames, concerts, and recitals or to help their kids with their homework. I've seen what can happen when parents force their kids to grow up too fast because they can't handle the responsibility of parenting. It destroys children.
Having grown up with parents who never missed any of my soccer or basketball games or cross country meets....With parents who were always involved in every area of my life....teaching me responsibility, hard work, right from wrong, integrity, maturity - I realize what a blessing I have been given. What an example my parents have set for me to follow.
I am so excited to raise a child. To teach them how to talk. Their ABC's, numbers, and animals. To teach them how to share. How to color and draw. How to kick and throw a ball. How to be gentle with our dogs. How to play the piano. How to build forts with the cushions from the couch. That there aren't any monsters under the bed. How to care for someone......Most of all, I can't wait to teach our son or daughter the love of Christ. To set an example as a Christ-follower. To pray with them. To teach them how to see others through the eyes of Christ. To help them grow in the knowledge that they are never alone and always loved.
This is my prayer. One of many.
I whole-heartedly agree! What power. And my Uncle Ben used to say, "With great power comes great responsibility..."
ReplyDeleteAwesome thoughts Kelly! You are so right about the impact and influence you have as a parent. Don't let ANYONE tell you the daycares/schools do it better at any age over a parent. I teach kindergarten this year and have an AWESOME example of a student with no preschool experience but home! He is one of my "neatest" workers! You two are awesome and your son will be blessed to have you as role models!
ReplyDeleteLove ya' both!
Susan